[obol] Re: Tillamook County -Western Tanager and ID help requested - Golden Plover? & Teal or Garganey?

  • From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mapsout@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2015 20:50:54 -0700

Well, the duck is a pretty extreme plumage for a Green-winged Teal this time of
year. The bill looks completely gray (GWT typically fades a bit at the base),
there is a really obvious pale spot behind the bill and a lot of white markings
on the face. I have seen weird-looking GW Teal in late August and early
September, but in late October they normally look pretty plain. An interesting
bird. Even Baikal is not out of the question, though I think they are supposed
to have whiter throats and a more colorful face.

Nice golden-plover. I’d guess it’s an American.

Alan Contreras
acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx

On Oct 29, 2015, at 8:25 PM, Beverly Hallberg <mapsout@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi all,

First of all I heard the distinctive dry "Pit-r-ick" call of a Western
Tanager today in my backyard between Nehalem and Manzanita and then saw him
fly into the State Park forest behind my house. 10 minutes later he called
again from the top of my little pine tree with the feeders and I saw him fly
off again to the forest. Wish he'd stuck around for a picture... Kind of
late eh???

Then at the Nehalem Sewage Ponds late this afternoon I found a presumed
female Teal that had a very marked face with a noticeable supercilium and
dark cheek patch with a faint line. I took pictures just to throw it out
there in case this might be a female Garganey. Ha!

Pics:
https://flic.kr/p/ztqv8t <https://flic.kr/p/ztqv8t>
https://flic.kr/p/ztqvKv <https://flic.kr/p/ztqvKv>
https://flic.kr/p/A8GVWo <https://flic.kr/p/A8GVWo>

Also there was a very distant - what looked to be - Golden Plover hanging
out behind a guard of 25 Killdeer who had there eye on me and behind the
posted sign to go no further. Therefore, my pictures are very lousy. But
what I saw through the scope was a definitely warm buffy plain breast with
only a very mild supercilium. I could detect some chevron line markings in
white on the back. There was a noticeable extension of the wings beyond the
tail but I couldn't count the primaries. There was also some white visible
at tail area as the bird leaned forward - are those the white undertail
coverts?

Pics:
https://flic.kr/p/Ap86s1 <https://flic.kr/p/Ap86s1>
https://flic.kr/p/ztqMe6 <https://flic.kr/p/ztqMe6>
https://flic.kr/p/Ao2ff3 <https://flic.kr/p/Ao2ff3>
https://flic.kr/p/A8HpFb <https://flic.kr/p/A8HpFb>

I have more pics of both birds but these are the best.
Thanks, Beverly Hallberg