[obol] N Yamhill raptor route

  • From: "Paul Sullivan" <paultsullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <YamhillBirders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2015 20:40:01 -0700

My Carol passionately loved doing her raptor routes. She would lament when
the season ended in March and look forward to the start again in November.
She always took people along. It was a party of expectancy. I'm planning
to carry on her effort with friends next month.

Today I did a warm-up run around her North Yamhill County route. I wanted
to look for Lincoln's Sparrow (which I haven't seen in the county this year)
at a favorite patch, and the route was on the way.

It was a bit misty in the beginning, both in the car and outside, limiting
visibility, but it turned sunny as I went along.

I found a SNOW GOOSE in a flock of 1000 Canada Geese in a cornfield SW of
the junction of Hill Rd and Donnelly Rd.

The PEREGRINE FALCON was on his/her appointed perch on Old McMinnville Rd.

The pair of BALD EAGLES were on a treetop along North Valley Rd.

A BARN OWL was in the historic old barn on Rocky Ford Rd.

I saw 2 N. Harriers

10 Red-tails

17 Kestrels

I saw a couple flocks of AMERICAN PIPITS. 75 & 50 birds.

The Lincoln's Sparrow was a no-show.

Good birding,

Paul Sullivan

McMinnville