[obol] The quest resumed

  • From: BILL ROSIE <watice@xxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2015 20:21:34 +0000

THE
QUEST RESUMES:

Hi
All,
went south to Jackson and Josephine Counties on Wednesday afternoon
for a couple days birding there and was guided by Russ Namitz, a
sharp birder from the area who many of you know. This was to be a continuation
of
trying to get 100 in each of Oregon's 36 counties. As Russ has
posted our birding of Thursday, this post won't be as long as the
others which I have done (These should be on a blog anyway). I had 75 in
Jackson and 90 in Josephine already, so the goal was in sight.

En
route there I stopped at Ford's Pond in Sutherlin where I added to my
Douglas County list - Cinnamon Teal (Chevy Pond), Greater
Yellowlegs, EC Dove, Hairy WP, Marsh Wren and Western Bluebird. I
then headed to Copper Creek Reservoir where there were a flock of
Wilson's Snipe at the shallow end, some 85. This was amazing to me
as I have only ever seen small groups at the most. While viewing
them a Great-horned Owl piped up from across the lake.

The
next day - Russ has already given the highlights and the places we
went. It was fun to explore birding areas of which I had not yet
been, and my Jackson list when from 75 to 114. The birds I enjoyed
most were seeing Barrow's Goldeneyes, Dipper, Lewis' Woodpecker,
Prairie Falcon, Mt Chickadee, Say's Phoebes, Golden Eagle, Mt Quail,
and Townsend's Warbler. There were others of the 39 added which were good and I
look forward to some day continuing to list in Jackson. Seems like reaching
200 there is gettable with moderate effort.

left Medford about 3 PM and Russ went to get ready for the class he
teaches at the local community college. I headed over to Josephine
County, straight to Selmac Lake where I added Western Grebe, Snipe,
Pintail, Shoveler, GW Teal and A Wigeon and Fox Sparrow, Great Egret,
Coot. At a nearby location I added Marsh Wren and E Wigeon, which
all added up to 101. So at least I am not under the curse of
Josephine any longer for not reaching 100.

Friday
morning Russ met me and we birded some places in the vicinity of
Grant's Pass. Starting a Whitehorse Park and ending at Roguelea
Mobile Home Court. Some of the birds added were Bufflehead, Lesser
Scaup, Cormorant, BCN Heron, Harrier, Creeper, Pacific Wren, GC
Kinglet, Wrentit, Pipit and Lincoln's Sparrow. It was fairly foggy
and cold, so birding was limited, but at the end of the day,
Josephine was “defeated” by my list of 110. Reaching 200, should
I try, will be a grind, and I have much respect for those who have
done so – not an easy task.

Heading
north before noon found me again at Ford's Pond where I saw a
Sharp-shinned Hawk, GWF Geese and what I felt was most likely a
Clark's Grebe. It was at quite a long distance, and I watched it for
about 10 minutes and the face certainly appear white enough, the
black cap limited, and the black of the back of the neck quite
skinny.

North
of Cottage Grove I nailed a Red-shouldered Hawk on a low billboard,
giving me that long overdue tick in Lane County. I then remembered
something on OBOL about a Ruff at Ankeny, so got the latest update on
OBOL on my wonderful I-phone, and, as it was on the way home, stopped there.
Jay Withgot
arrived when I did and we found Hendrick and Oscar and Jeff Harding
already there, guiding out eyes in the right direction to where it
was playing hide and seek in the taller grass. It finally showed
well enough for ID, and provided a great Marion County bird for us
all (I think).

Well,
32/36 counties down, only 4 to go, but I think it won't be until next
June when I will be able to knock them out. After that.....I am not sure, but
as I have a few years until retirement, I am contemplating on hacking away
toward 200 in certain counties not too far from where I live, like Lane,
Washington, Clackamas and maybe farther afield. It is a fun thing to do and I
continue to encourage others if they are at all so inclined.

Bill Tice: Birding - The best excuse for getting outdoors, and avoiding chores.