[obol] Re: The continuing Sapsucker Dilemma

  • From: DJ Lauten and KACastelein <deweysage@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2016 19:06:19 -0800

Well this opens a can of worms.

There are more than one definition of a /species/. Species is a human language construct that helps us define and explain what we are looking at and what we are. Deciding what a species is, is not some concept bestowed on us by "God" or some other god. So since we humans tend to like to discuss various points of view (or sometimes argue them), there are, in fact, different definitions of a species. Look up Biological Species Concept and Phylogenetic Species Concept. While they certainly have a lot in common, they definitely have differences in how they define a species. A very good example of this is large white gulls of the Genus /Larus. /What is a species in this group and what is not is much debated.

So the definition of a species is somewhat fluid and subject to change (and opinion, mind you, as there is no definite right or wrong, though there is "more wrong"). The definition of hybrid, however, is a bit more rigid, albeit that depends on whether we are talking birds or plants. Sticking to birds, hybrid would mean two /species/ have offspring. Whether those offspring are not viable however, is yet another story. Some hybrids may in fact be sterile, but there are plenty of examples of hybrids that are not (some wood warblers, gulls, sapsuckers, etc etc). More closely related species tend to have fertile offspring, more distant relatives will be more likely to be sterile.

What's important to remember is evolution is a process and is messy. The ideas you are discussing are in fact humans constructs to help us discuss these matters. Noah's comments are right on. If we hadn't made the human decision to call these sapsuckers separate species, we wouldn't be discussing whether any of these birds had mixed genes or whether they are hybrids. But if we call them two different things, and a bird has mixed genes, then it is a hybrid, but for our purpose as birders IDing a bird, it is what it looks like. Ultimately a lot of this is chasing our human words round and round.......

Cheers
Dave Lauten

On 3/9/2016 6:08 PM, Andy Thomas (Redacted sender adt0611 for DMARC) wrote:

It is my understanding that two individuals that can produce viable offspring are the same species by definition; and a hybrid is the offspring of two individuals of different species and is therefore /not/ viable. Am I mistaken? or have the definitions of /species/ and /hybrid/ changed? If there are different degrees of mixing, then the offspring must be reproducing in turn.

Andy Thomas

*From:* Noah Strycker <noah.strycker@xxxxxxxxx>

*Subject:* [obol] Re: The continuing Sapsucker Dilemma

[...] I suppose this is a philosophical question of bird ID: When do you call a bird a hybrid? [...]