[obol] Re: The continuing Sapsucker Dilemma

  • From: DJ Lauten and KACastelein <deweysage@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Andrew Thomas <adt0611@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 08:50:34 -0800

Well, the best part about a can of worms, is it gives Robins plenty to eat! ;-)

By the way, did you know that those earthworms that you see all over the place are mostly non native? Did you also know that they are hermaphrodites (ie., they have both male and female reproductive organs)? And you want to talk about messy taxonomy......

Be glad we have a big interest in birds....they generally follow the rules of taxonomy, despite us always fussing and fighting over what is a species and what are subspecies. We could all be plant geeks, or isopod geeks, or insect geeks, and then the taxonomy issues tend to explode into a myriad and complex mess. Ask someone like Bruce Newhouse, who I hear is a grass expert (if there is such a thing), or Tim Rodenkirk, who is an expert on just about everything but he knows a few things about lichens.....they will tell you a few good taxonomy stories...I am sure!

Evolution is awesome.

Cheers
Dave Lauten

On 3/9/2016 11:11 PM, Andrew Thomas wrote:

Thanks, Dave Lauten, for your thorough response. Point taken. (Maybe we need
canofworms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx.) I am not a scientist, but I understand from your
post, as well as from my desultory reading over the years, that evolution
theory presents life as a continuum. So, back to birds; no more worms.

sent from iPad

On Mar 9, 2016, at 7:06 PM, DJ Lauten and KACastelein <deweysage@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Well this opens a can of worms....