[obol] Steigerwald Lake NWR, Vanport Wetlands, Fern Hill Wetlands - Many species

  • From: Nagi Aboulenein <nagi.aboulenein@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Jack Doyle <jackdoyle@xxxxxxxxxx>, Laura Doyle <laura_doyle@xxxxxxxxxxx>, obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2016 15:58:07 -0700

Taghrid, I and our daughter Arig birded Steigerwald Lake NWR, Vanport Wetlands, Fern Hill Wetlands and Milne Rd on Saturday March 19.

While we were unable to find the Burrowing Owl spotted at Steigerwald, it nevertheless was quite a productive days, with good sightings of Ring-necked Pheasants, multiple male Northern Harriers (and some females as well), multiple pairs of American Kestrels, a Great Blue Heron rookery, with many nests and GBHs busily carrying nesting material to their nests, Hooded Mergansers, a pair of Brown Creepers, a pair of Pileated Woodpeckers, and numerous Hairy Woodpeckers.

Vanport Wetlands also was great, with a Cooper's Hawk landing on a nearby branch, posing for a couple of minutes before getting harassed away by Crows, a Great Horned Owl nest (no clear sighting of little ones), Pied-billed Grebes, Redheads, Ruddy Ducks, American Wigeons, Wood Ducks and Mallards.

Fern Hill brought us a very nice Orange-crowned Warbler and a Hutton's Vireo, as well as a synchronized fly-by of a Bald Eagle pair.

No short-eared owls at Milne Rd, though the GHO that owns the barn (at least it looks like it does) was in its usual place.

All in all, a very nice and productive outing.

Link to photos: https://goo.gl/photos/9Y56sLQzDeuhD75D7

Good birding,

Nagi & Taghrid.

POST: Send your post to obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx