[obol] Re: Status of Red-Breasted Sapsucker in Lincoln County?

  • From: David Irons <llsdirons@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Wayne Hoffman <whoffman@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2015 21:39:42 +0000

Wayne, Darrel et al.,

I hope you all know I wasn't trying to throw anyone under the bus, or imply
that resident Lincoln County birders are challenged when it comes to finding
Red-breasted Sapsuckers. There is clearly an east slope vs west difference in
their abundance in the Coast Range and its skirts. After looking at eBird
reports, I'd say it is considerable, despite the inherent observer effort
biases that I discussed in my initial post. I think that once most of us gets
that first whiff of salt air, our interest in coastal slope forest birding goes
out the window. Given that Darrel lives within the elevational band that I
would expect to have the greatest densities of R-B Saps, his take on their
abundance in the county certainly carries weight. Just going about his daily
life it would seem he would be more likely to encounter sapsuckers than those
of us who do virtually of our coastal birding within a mile of the ocean. At
similar elevations on the east slope of the Coast Range and the west foothills
of the Cascades they seem to be generally more findable.

Tim Rodenkirk's comments are also interesting. I wonder if as one moves south
along the Coast Range to the point where it transitions to the Siskiyous if
there isn't a bit of break between where S. r. ruber (the more northerly and
coastal subspecies) wanes and S. r. daggetti (the more southerly and interior
subspecies) takes over.

Dave Irons
Portland, OR

Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2015 13:32:09 -0700
From: whoffman@xxxxxxxx
To: llsdirons@xxxxxxx
CC: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [obol] Re: Status of Red-Breasted Sapsucker in Lincoln County?

Hi, all - Since Dave called me out, here is my take on Red-breasted Sapsuckers
in Lincoln County.I mostly see them in winter. I do not do as much summer
birding inland in the county as I could, and rarely encounter them. On the
coast they are present in winter but generally hard to find in native habitats.
Most of the places I find them they are drilling on exotic trees, and there
are not that many apple trees in this county. I used to have an exotic
(Japanese?) maple in my front yard, and some winters it had a resident
sapsucker.Most of the time I would not be much use to a visitor wanting to find
one in the county.Wayne