[obol] Re: Sparrow ID

  • From: David Irons <llsdirons@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "tjanzen@xxxxxxxxxxx" <tjanzen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 15:36:03 -0800

While this bird may very well be in it's hatch year, use of the term "juvenile"
should be reserved for individuals that are still in juvenile/juvenal plumage.
This is the first complete set of feathers acquired after hatching and is only
retained for a couple of months in Passerines

Most songbirds go through a preformative molt before ever leaving the nesting
grounds or shortly thereafter. By September or early October they will have
replaced virtually all of their juvenile head and body feathers, with only
flight and tail feathers retained. I can't tell looking at this image on my
phone, but if it is a hatch year bird we should be able to see some molt limits
in the wings.

Dave Irons
Portland, OR

Sent from my iPhone