[obol] Southern Willamette Valley Waterfowl; reporting goose neck collars

  • From: bcombs232@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: Oregon Birders OnLine <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 21:34:31 -0800

I visited some known waterfowl hangouts in the Alvadore area this afternoon and
found some interesting birds.

A RUDDY DUCK at Kirk Pond.

A pair of TUNDRA SWANS seen from the Orchard Point parking lot - FOS for me.
A lot of waterfowl were near Highway 126 and too distant to identify.

Thousands of geese in the fields at the end of Starlite In Alvadore, including
a DUSKY CANADA GOOSE with a red neck collar, which I have reported to the USGS.

People often query obol about where to report neck collared geese, as well as
other marked birds. With the seasonal big influx of geese, many more neck
collars will be discovered, I'm sure.
The place to report them is <www.pwrs.usgs.gov>. Highlight the menu line to
the Banding Laboratory, and on the next page the bird band or marked bird menu.
Then follow the instructions. As long as the person who put the collar on the
goose (or marker on another bird) has reported to the USGS, you will receive
information on where the bird was when the collar or other marker was put on
the bird.

The USGS response sometimes comes quickly, but during the hunting season there
is usually a delay due to the high volume of reports they receive then.

Sent from my iPad