[obol] South Polar Skua, Curry Co.

  • From: Wink Gross <winkg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2015 18:37:01 -0700

It seemed highly fortuitous that our yearly trip to Bandon fell on this
weekend. However, it doesn't seem quite so charming right now while others are
finding BV Sheawaters and RB Tropicbirds and I'm not. :^)

However, I did have one good sighting--a personal first: South Polar Skua from
land. Just south of Ophir Wayside, I first saw it swimming just beyond the
breakers. A long, medium brown bird with smallish head. Puzzling until it
obligingly took off and flashed its white upper side wing patches.

As for shearwaters, well, "fiddle-dee-dee, tomorrow is another day".

Wink Gross
Portland

Sent from my iPad