[obol] South Coast report

  • From: "Tim Janzen" <tjanzen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'OBOL'" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2015 23:49:52 -0700

My wife Rachel and I spent the weekend birding in Douglas, Coos, and Curry
Counties and visited various sites between the mouth of the Umpqua River and
Cape Blanco. We spent most of our time in the Bandon area. We did quite a
bit of seawatching, but were unable to find any shearwaters of any species.
We did a 4-hour seawatch this morning from Coquille Point in Bandon. Wink
Gross and Lars Skalnes were present for portions of the seawatch. There was
a steady southbound movement of ALEUTIAN CACKLING GEESE between about 7:30
am and 10 am totaling about 2000 birds in about 7 or so flocks. I saw 5
southbound BROWN PELICANS and 2 MARBLED GODWITS. There was a very light
movement of loons and SURF SCOTERS early in the morning. I saw two
BLACK-BELLIED PLOVERS and heard another at Coquille Point yesterday
afternoon. The winds were fairly strong on Cape Blanco yesterday as a storm
front passed through. There continue to be many thousands of SURF SCOTERS
on both the north and south sides of the cape with the highest
concentrations being on the north side.

Sincerely,

Tim Janzen