[obol] ADDENDUM to yesterday's post "Gold Beach, OR -11 October 2015"

  • From: "Anne & Dan Heyerly" <tanager@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 11:10:57 -0700

Obol,

In my post on Sunday I neglected to mention what to me now is the obvious
omission of mentioning that many Sooty Shearwaters were also seen by us from
the South Jetty of the Rogue River.

Also: Western Meadowlark (1) was observed by us in the grassy area at the
base of the S. Jetty where the jetty road turns due west (near where the
Clay-colored Sparrow was hanging out a winter or two ago).

Another interesting tidbit I did not mention yesterday, and you might watch
the newspaper and twitter feeds for this. I have not yet seen mention of
it. A man who was wearing a jacket with an embroidered "Indiana Audubon" on
it reported to us that he walks the beach in Gold Beach every day, and that
on this morning (Sunday) he experienced a first while doing this (I thought
sure he was going to report seeing eagles, orcas, or egrets). He reported
that "A dead naked man was lying face down on the beach down by the
airport!" We asked him if he reported it to the police, and he said police
officers and sheriff deputies already had the area secured. With the aid of
our scopes we could see the cluster of officers surrounding something about
200m south of us, and Anne was "lucky" to notice the corpse's feet and toes
as the officers raised the litter carrier to the back of an ATV that then
moved the body off the beach.

I must say that it was first for us too!

Good birding,

Dan Heyerly