[obol] Some Marion Co birds (continuing Purple Martins, Black-backed Woodpecker, ...)

  • From: Stefan Schlick <greenfant@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2014 22:13:15 -0400

En route to Hunsaker Rd, I heard a Yellow-breasted Chat right where the
pavement ends along 54th Ave SE coming from Turner.
I was able to re-find the Roy Gerig's 2 Purple Martins along Hunsaker Rd (about
1/4mi east of Duckflat Rd), but dipped on the Western Kingbirds and Grasshopper
Sparrow. 2 Wilson's Phalaropes were in the ponds along Hunsaker.
At the end of the spit at Detroit Flats was a male Yellow-headed Blackbird.
Hmmm ...
For no apparent reason other than getting to higher elevation I made my way up
FR4220 to Breitenbush Lake (from the Detroit side). The road is bad and slow, I
can't recommend it unless you have clearance and 4WR. Also, I had to walk the
last 300yds as the road was blocked by snow. Birding was slow up there, but I
did find a Black-backed Woodpecker working the trees above the restroom for the
boat launch. By the time I left the area, it had warmed to 45F. Other
to-be-expected birds seen up there include Townsend's Solitaire, Mountain
Bluebird, Cassin's Finch, 3 Barrow's Goldeneye and many Pine Siskins.
Stefan SchlickHillsboro, OR