[obol] Sisters Birding

  • From: Charles Gates <cgates326@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2014 22:19:41 -0700

I took a visiting Massachusetts birder out for a marathon birding session today. We spent about 14 hours birding around Sisters before heading home via hwy 97. We could not find a Dipper. A very nice nest was present at Camp Sherman but no bird. No nest at all below the bridge at Suttle Lake Lodge. We found the following:

Highlights:
Blue-winged Teal - Redmond Sewer Ponds
3 Ruddy Duck - Redmond Sewer Ponds
2 female Bufflehead - Redmond Sewer Ponds
Mt Quail - 11 Road about 3 miles past where the pavement ends
N. Pygmy-Owl - 11 Road
Vaux's Swift - Suttle Lake
Lewis's WP - North end of Road 11 (several pairs)
Williamson's Sapsucker - at a nest in Cold Springs CG
Red-breasted Sapsucker - Where Whychus Creek crosses the 1514 road between Pole Creek Rd. and Three Creeks Road. No nest was found. Hairy WP - at undeveloped campground on the cuttoff road between Cold Springs CG and Hwy 20/126. Road into the CG is 158. White-headed WP - at undeveloped campground on the cuttoff road between Cold Springs CG and Hwy 20/126. Road into the CG is 158.
Black-backed WP - Rd 1514. Nest located and photographed.
Northern Flicker - Multiple birds but a good nest located and photographed at Cold Springs. 30 Clark's Nutcrackers coming in for water - at undeveloped campground on the cuttoff road between Cold Springs CG and Hwy 20/126. Road into the CG is 158. Pinyon Jays - We saw birds at the Best Western and along Hwy 126 east of Sisters.
Chestnut-backed Chickadees - Suttle Lake
Townsend's Warbler - North side of Black Butte
Hermit Warbler - North side of Black Butte
Leucistic Fox Sparrow on the north end of Rd 11  (photographed)

--
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for
sure that just ain't so.

Chuck Gates
541-280-4957
Powell Butte,