[obol] Deschutes County Snowy Plover Added Comment

  • From: Charles Gates <cgates326@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Lew Rems <carolh67@xxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2014 04:41:34 -0700

After seeing that Lew Rems found and photographed a Snowy Plover at Hatfield Lake in Bend yesterday, I searched the Central Oregon Historical Records for other migrating shorebirds on the second week in June to see how unusual this was. Here's what I found:

This is about the 4th Snowy Plover ever found in Deschutes County.
Lew Rems has found 3 out of the 4 birds ever found there (all were confirmed by other observers) There has only been one other migrating shorebird of any kind ever reported from Deschutes County in the second week of June. It was another Snowy Plover, found by Lew Rems in 2012.

On 6/10/2014 7:27 AM, judy wrote:
Deschutes county, the Bend wastewater ponds, not Hatfield Marine Science Center.

Lew  just called, he is looking at a SNOWY PLOVER right now, out at the
first pond at Hatfield. It is on the south shore, center section. Good
birding.  judy, jmeredit@xxxxxxxxxxx

It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for
sure that just ain't so.
Mark Twain

Chuck Gates
541-280-4957