[obol] Re: Siskins Askew

  • From: Joel Geier <joel.geier@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Brandon Green <brandon.green18@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 10:03:04 -0700

Hi Brandon & all,

I took a peek in eBird earlier this morning, as a matter of due
diligence. I noticed that there were only a handful of unique reports of
Pine Siskins from the mid-valley region, during April and May. All of
these were reports of just 1 or 2 birds. Here they are:

  2 at Fisherman's Bend (Marion Co.) on May 10 (recorded on 2 lists)
  1 on OSU campus (Corvallis) in Apr 22
  X near OSU campus (Corvallis) on Apr 11
  1 in Willamette Park (Corvallis) on Apr 11 (recorded on 2 lists)
  1 sw of Philomath on Apr 19

If you go back to March there are several more reports of a single Pine
Siskin at the same location sw of Philomath, on various dates. This
charismatic siskin seems to have been recorded on 5 different eBird
checklists on March 16th!

Apart from these, there was a report of 2 siskins at Hilltop Cemetery in
e. Polk Co. on March 12th, and a remarkable flock of 4 siskins at the
same spot on March 18th.

I would count the March reports as most likely wintering birds or else
migrants. The eBird reports from April and May could all be accounted
for by a total of 5 individual birds.

Cheers,
Joel