[obol] Short-billed gulls at Alexandre farm (Del Norte County, CA)

  • From: Marissa Gibson <marissagibsonmhs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2021 20:45:53 -0800

It’s just a 20 minute trip over Oregon’s southern border so I thought I would share.

Today I spent a while driving around backroads north of Crescent City; Alexandre farm prides itself in supporting wildlife in their pastures and surrounding property so I wanted to check it out after the storm yesterday. In one of their fields, I spotted a large flock of larus gulls. Before I even got my binos on them I clocked the majority of the birds as short billed gulls. Typical dainty, round headed gull with big white “windows” in the wingtip and a pale silvery gray back. There were easily 100, maybe more hidden in the grass. Of course there were a few 1st cycle glaucous-winged gulls, a more typical pasture gull to me. I have never seen that many short billed gull in one place, let alone in a field a few miles inland. 30 odd great egrets were hunched up near the far fenceline.

Between Brookings and Lakeside, I counted:

14 Red-tailed hawks

28 American Kestrels

6 red-shouldered hawks

2 Bald eagles

1 Cooper’s hawk

Very damp raptors. They all looked miserable.

A note: If you are looking for varied thrushes or hermit thrushes, they seem to like to hang out in groups on forest roads on the west side of the coast range in Siuslaw and Rogue River-Siskiyou National forests in early mornings or dim, wet days.

Marissa G.

Lane county most of the year, but I travel for work

marissagibsonmhs@xxxxxxxxx

Sent from Mail for Windows