[obol] Sept 14 Pelagic Trip Invitation

  • From: Matthew G Hunter <matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 15:06:21 -0700

Hi Folks,

I'm posting the announcement again for this trip of Sept 14. We will travel
along shore from Charleston up to near the mouth of the Umpqua River, then
head out to albatross country to the west, then when we've had our fun out
there, we'll head SSE back to Charleston.

One unique aspect of this trip is that we will be traveling about 20 MILES
NEAR SHORE. We will be in the "lane" of migrating Sooty Shearwaters,
shorebirds, alcids, waterfowl, Parasitic Jaegers, etc., and this is the
zone where MANX SHEARWATERS are most often found. Twenty miles of travel in
this "lane" will increase our odds of encountering that rare species.  I
hope you can join us. Description below...

SEPT 14 COOS/DOUGLAS COUNTY PELAGIC TRIP

In Charleston we will board the Betty Kay (nice 50-ft boat) at 0630 (leave
0700). From Charleston we will travel north near shore to the mouth of the
Umpqua River (2-3 hrs), then head west to deeper water to look for
albatross and other offshore species, spending about 5 hours in
DouglasCounty waters, then head SSE back to Charleston (2-3 hrs). This
is near
peak migration and we should encounter most regularly occurring seabirds.
Expected are Black-footed Albatross, Sooty and Pink-footed Shearwaters,
Northern Fulmar, Parasitic and Pomarine Jaegers, Sabine's Gull, Red-necked
Phalarope, Cassin's and Rhinoceros Auklets, and Marbled Murrelet.  Possible
include Long-tailed Jaeger, Arctic Tern, Buller's Shearwater, Fork-tailed
Storm-Petrel, Red Phalarope, and a few others. Brief sightings of whales,
sharks, and mola mola (ocean sunfish) are expected as well.

Cost is $100 per person. Sign-up is on a first-paid first-reserved basis. I
will confirm your reservation by email. You may pay with either of these
methods: (1) by check to Matt Hunter, 1330 Cleveland Hill Rd, Roseburg, OR
97471. Please include the name, address, phone and email of each person you
are paying for. Or (2) via PayPal, to me at matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx. If
you use PayPal, please either pay the fee yourself, or add $3.20 to the
total you send to me. And, email to me the name, address, phone, and email
of each person you are paying for. Thanks!

Cancellations by August 29th are refundable. Cancellations on or after
August 30th are not refundable. If the trip does not go because of ocean
conditions or inadequate sign-up, all funds will be refunded (but paypal
payments will require another fee of $3.20 which I will pass on to you).

Trip preparation: Conditions on the ocean can range from really cold to
fairly warm. Be prepared with rain gear and layers for cool conditions to
warm. Even when it is completely sunny, wind can lift up ocean spray and
get us wet when the boat is moving, so be prepared with rain gear tops and
bottoms and boots. If you are concerned about possible motion sickness,
consult your physician. For a thorough description of preparing for a
Charleston pelagic trip, Greg Gillson of The Bird Guide (
www.thebirdguide.com) has given me permission to point to his Charleston
pelagic preparation webpage: http://thebirdguide.com/pelagics
/charleston_preparation.htm (note this webpage has Greg's contact info; but
this is not a Bird Guide trip).

Meeting Place/Time: Betty Kay Charters:* *7788 Albacore, Charleston, OR
97420. 1-800-752-6303. From Hwy 101 take the Cape Arago Highway to
Charleston. Take the first right turn after crossing over the small arm of
the bay. Please be there by 0630. We will depart at 0700.

For questions, contact Matt Hunter, matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx, 541-670-1984.