[obol] Scarlet Tanager or....

  • From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <d_villa@xxxxxxxx>, OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2013 14:44:21 -0700

Although it is a little hard to tell what the color really is owing to the
light-and-shade pattern, my impression is that the color is not right for
Scarlet Tanager, which is typically brilliant red.  This bird looks to me
more brick red like a Red Crossbill tucked away in the shade.  One of the
photos appears to show a beefy, dark, finchy-looking bill, though that may
be an effect of lighting or a twig.

--
Alan Contreras
Eugene, Oregon/Boulder, Colorado

Working in Boulder, Colorado, most of the time from mid-September 2013
through late August, 2014.

From:  dawn v <d_villa@xxxxxxxx>
Date:  Sat, 31 Aug 2013 17:32:03 -0400
To:  OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc:  "Lincoln Co. Birding & Nature Observing" <LCBNO@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:  [obol] Re: Pixieland Scarlet Tanager - NO

Decided to go through my photos one more time and found him at the very
bottom of a shot - from there was able to find him in 3 more pix.  They are
bad but you can see him - there are four photos to scroll through, two of
the shots include a cedar waxwing who was nearby (the tree was full of cedar
waxwings, making it very hard to follow the bird).

http://s1014.photobucket.com/user/villaesc/media/Birds/IMG_5693_1_zps7466bb4
0.jpg.html
<http://s1014.photobucket.com/user/villaesc/media/Birds/IMG_5693_1_zps7466bb
40.jpg.html>

Thoughts?

dawn v
Lincoln City/Nelscott
Blogging About the Coast
dvillabirds.blogspot.com
Sometimes things come when you stop looking