[obol] Saturday's (10/10/15) Green Ridge Raptor Migration Count

  • From: "L. T." <natureeager2009@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cobol@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, OBOL@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2015 21:14:44 -0700

Today's Raptor Migration Count on Green Ridge was full of falcons and
delight! We had 1 Prairie Falcon, 7 Peregrine Falcons, and 14 Merlins. An
additional highlight of the day was our first Rough-legged Hawk of the
season. Strong winds from the west kept the counting steady until rain put
a damper on the counting but not on our spirits. We had such great views
of these beautiful birds as they glided above our heads or just to the west
of us today. Once again a handful of hard-core birders stayed until 5pm
when even when the strong winds and rain started around 3:15pm counting 11
migrating raptors (including 3 Merlins) during the last two hours.

Tomorrow (Sunday) is the last day of this year's Green Ridge Raptor
Migration Count. Come join us! Here's a link to the directions:
http://www.ecaudubon.org/#!green-ridge---raptor-migration/ciou

Here are today's numbers:

Total migrating raptors: 125
Total species: 12
Total Observers: 15

Bald Eagle - 9
Northern Harrier: 2
Sharp-shinned Hawk: 47
Cooper's Hawk: 15
Northern Goshawk: 2
Red-tailed Hawk: 18
Rough-legged Hawk: 1
Golden Eagle: 7
Merlin: 14
Peregrine Falcon: 7
Prairie Falcon: 1
Unidentified Raptor: 1

Today's observers: Peter Low, Greg Small, Linda Meng, Bob Wilkinson, Betsy
Huffsmith, Jim Huffsmith, Judy Meredith, Dian Annett, Cathy Beck, Penny
Pinson, Debbie Fields, Dave Ledder, Satch Esperancilla, Nancy Esperancilla,
David Braunschweiger, Leanna Taylor