[obol] Sandpiper Question

  • From: capatter@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 21:37:21 +0000 (UTC)

Very novice birder here and  I enjoy learning from everyone else in obol-land.
Just returned from Waldport and saw many sandpipers, cannot really distinguish
them however. One cooperative group of peeps  perched on the neighbor's roof
and then  flew by our beach house several times - in flight the tails had a
white bar and ended with a black bar on the tip which was square. I can't seem
to find this in any of my bird books or online. Otherwise they looked just like
Western or Semipalmated. What type of sandpiper is this?

I also saw my first Black Bellied Plover and the Elegant Tern in Newport - very
fun!

Regards, Carla