[obol] Re: SS Hawk and two owls / Eugene

  • From: Bruce Newhouse <newhouse@xxxxxxx>
  • To: George Neavoll <gneavoll@xxxxxxxxxxx>, OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 12:47:21 -0800

No, George, I'm not sure! I appreciate the feedback.

The size didn't seem quite right for Cooper's: I think the bird as pictured is about 12" from top of head to tip of tail. And the brown striping on the underside seems pretty coarse.

Cooper's, however, have been known to nest in the Masonic Cemetery very close to here in S. Eugene (a few blocks south of the Pioneer Cemetery, which is at the south edge of campus). I noted the rounded tail, too, but went with size and striping.

We'll see if any others weigh in, and thank you for your comments. I'm studying both species harder because of your comments.

Best,

Bruce Newhouse in Eugene

On 11/11/2015 10:11 AM, George Neavoll wrote:

Hi, Bruce -

Are you sure that's not a Cooper's - rounded tail, larger head? (I may even
have seen the bird, at the Pioneer Cemetery.)

Nice pic, anyway!

George Neavoll
S.W . Portland

On Nov 11, 2015, at 9:56 AM, Bruce Newhouse wrote:

Greetings!

Probably attracted by the 30 or so PINE SISKINS at our feeders off and on, a
juvenile SHARP-SHINNED HAWK has been in our tiny back yard at least once each
of the last two days. Yesterday afternoon for a few minutes it sat on top of
the iron posts holding the feeders: http://brucen.zenfolio.com/p620779059

Upon leaving a meeting on the University of Oregon campus last night just after
8, a WESTERN SCREECH-OWL was calling from the group of tall firs just west of
Lawrence Hall. About a minute later, just to the south, a GREAT HORNED OWL
sounded off in the Pioneer Cemetery on the edge of campus. The person I was
walking with thought the GHOW either moved between hooting sessions, or that
there was more than one owl present.

Bruce Newhouse in Eugene