[obol] SS Hawk and two owls / Eugene

  • From: Bruce Newhouse <newhouse@xxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 09:56:36 -0800

Greetings!

Probably attracted by the 30 or so PINE SISKINS at our feeders off and on, a juvenile SHARP-SHINNED HAWK has been in our tiny back yard at least once each of the last two days. Yesterday afternoon for a few minutes it sat on top of the iron posts holding the feeders: http://brucen.zenfolio.com/p620779059

Upon leaving a meeting on the University of Oregon campus last night just after 8, a WESTERN SCREECH-OWL was calling from the group of tall firs just west of Lawrence Hall. About a minute later, just to the south, a GREAT HORNED OWL sounded off in the Pioneer Cemetery on the edge of campus. The person I was walking with thought the GHOW either moved between hooting sessions, or that there was more than one owl present.

Bruce Newhouse in Eugene