[obol] Re: Rock Wren at Hills Creek Dam

  • From: Priscilla Nam Hari Kaur <priscillanhk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: joel.geier@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2014 21:14:28 -0700

You are welcome Joel;

You were right about Tom Mickel too. According to eBird, further back in
time,
Tom had Rock  Wrens further up in the hills.At Bunchgrass Ridge, east of
the reservoir and across Hwy 58, in July, 2003, he reported one. Back in
June, 1999 at ShadyGap, which is a side canyon of Hills Creek Reservoir,
Tom reported one.  Further back he reported them in Gold Lake and the S
Fork of Salt Creek, both of which are along or not far from Hwy 58.

What surprised me though, were the sightings at Spencer Butte, Skinner
Butte and Fern Ridge Royal Ave and Dexter Reservoir in the late 90s and
early 2000s. I had no idea we'd had Rock Wrens down here in the valley, (or
even west of the Cascades for that matter!)  And those were all reported by
Tom Mickel, Noah Strycker and Daniel Farrar.

I took an interest in this topic today because I  have a friend who lives
in Oakridge and she has been saying she was nearly positive she's heard
Rock Wrens this Spring below the dam, in that same rip-rap wall they were
reported in today. I don't remember if she said she had positively seen one
there or not. I don't have much doubt that my friend did indeed hear and
perhaps see Rock Wrens at Hills Creek Dam last month.

On another topic, I went out to delta ponds at 5:30pm to look for the
Eastern Kingbird reported there late this morning. I didn't find it. If I
had seen it, I would have posted it as a separate topic/thread and would
hopefully have had a picture to show as well, but that was not to be.

Priscilla