[obol] Re: RFI: Men's Light-weight Rain Boot Recommendation

  • From: Joel Geier <joel.geier@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oregon Birders OnLine <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2015 21:04:22 -0800

Hi John & Pam & others,

The most ultra-light-weight rain boot is just to go BAREFOOT.

As many OBOLers know, this is my preferred footgear at least for
temperatures down to 30 F or so. Your own skin almost never leaks, even
if it might get wet on the outside.

Yeah, maybe your feet will get wet but you'll expect it, which is very
unlike the disappointment and discomfort of leaky boots that you spent
$200 or whatever on. And once you get past that little issue, you can
accept whatever comes your way.

If you're headed to South America, take a tip from the Yanomami. They've
lived there very happily for thousands of years without boots.

I had a good barefoot experience in Kenya, though somewhere along the
line a Kikuyu guide pegged me as "Jesus' brother" and that name stuck
for the rest of my time there.

This is still a good season for barefoot birding in western Oregon, and
a good chance to toughen up your feet for the tropics!

Happy birding,
Joel

--
Joel Geier