[obol] Re: Possible Bronzed Cowbird ?

  • From: David Irons <llsdirons@xxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL Oregon Birders Online <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 07:50:00 +0000

Greg,
This is certainly an interesting bird, but the fact that the eye doesn't appear
to be red raises some concern. Assuming that this bird hatched in 2012 (I don't
how early Bronzed Cowbirds nest down south), it should have a red eye by now
and it should not be molting. Hatch-year blackbirds go through a preformative
molt in their first fall which is complete (even flight and tail feathers are
replaced) and the general consensus is that prealternate molts are either
extremely limited or non-existent in cowbirds and blackbirds.
I would like to see the original image not blown up (I'm presuming it is based
on the graininess). I think we might get a better feel for whether the bird
shows any glossiness in the plumage. There is a quite a bit of digital "noise"
in this image, which makes it harder to get a good feel for the color of the
wings, back, coverts, and tail. For the most part, these feather sets look
brownish and perhaps worn/faded, suggesting to me that they are older and that
the bird is nearing a year old. I can't find any reference that mentions an
aberrant black-headed Brown-headed Cowbird, but the shape and proportions of
this bird don't seem quite right for Bronzed Cowbird.
Like Jeff, I'm having a hard time coming up with something else that this bird
could be given that it seems to be a male cowbird with a black head.
Dave IronsPortland, OR

Subject: [obol] Re: Possible Bronzed Cowbird ?
From: jeffgilligan10@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 22:47:24 -0700
CC: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I think so…...If it is it has to be a young male moulting to adult plumage.  If
it is, I think it is the  aenus race rather than the form found in Arizona with
which I am more familiar.  Maybe we are both missing something, but I have no
idea what it could be otherwise.    Jeff

On May 30, 2013, at 9:59 PM, Greg Gillson <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Possible Bronzed Cowbird at Benson Pond on 5/28?

http://www.pbase.com/gregbirder/image/150519360/original

Quick glimpse and pic while looking for waterthruh. Forgot about it until
going through photos tonight.

Greg