[obol] Polk coast range and Baskett Slough

  • From: Brandon Wagner <bmwboarder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Midvalley Birding <birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, oregon birding online <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 12:58:06 -0700

Hi friends,

I headed up into the Gold Creek area of NW Polk county this morning. I ran
into a few good birds, including a booming SOOTY GROUSE, a GRAY JAY, and a
HERMIT THRUSH all from one spot. Just down the hill from there was 2
TOWNSENDS SOLITAIRES, a bird that I spent lots of time looking for last
year, but never found. They have quite a beautiful song.

I did a quick drive-through of Baskett Slough. 3 GREATER WHITE-FRONTED
GEESE flew low over my car, as did a YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRD. There were
at least 4 white geese near the Coville Rd parking lot. One of them may
have been a Ross's Goose, but the heat waves made it hard for me to tell.
The other three looked good for SNOW GOOSE.

Coville Rd had a flock of LEAST SANDPIPERS.

Cheers!
Brandon Wagner
Independence