[obol] Polk and Yamhill Counties

  • From: BILL ROSIE <watice@xxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2015 00:42:51 +0000

I went birding today in
both Yamhill and Polk Counties. Started at BSNWR where there was 1
WESTERN GREBE at the narrows, a nice find for the county. Another
reasonably good bird was a PEREGRINE FALCON at the north end of
Livermore Rd. There were 41 HOODED MERGANSERS in the pond 2+ miles
west of Perrydale, which was a healthy number. From here I went to
the Sheridan Sewage Lagoons where there were 5 EARED GREBES and 1
CANVASBACK. I suspect the grebes were some Paul S mentioned a week
ago or so. From there I worked my way to Monmouth Sewage Poinds
where I saw the first MEW GULLS of the fall – 3 adults and 4 first
winter ones. Another place I stopped at was Kreider's Pond near Buena
Vista where there was a late PECTORAL SANDPIPER among 2 GREATER
YELLOWLEGS, 12 DOWITCHERS, 8 LEAST SANDPIPERS. My last place of
birding was Luckiamute Landing. I did NOT hear and cranes flying
south. I did NOT find and mountain chickadees among the BC
Chickadees, Kinglets, Bushtits, and other little birds. There was 1
HUTTON'S VIREO among them though. Along the way in between these
places I stopped at many bridges over the Yamhill or Luckiamute
Rivers, hoping for one of those chickadees with the white eye stripe,
but no such luck.

Bill Tice: Birding - The best excuse for getting outdoors, and avoiding chores.