[obol] Pittock, NW Portland, two weeks ending 10/14/15--this time with proofreading!

  • From: Wink Gross <winkg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 14:29:54 -0700

[Excuse the errors! Reposting]

Here is the summary of my morning walks from NW Seblar Terrace to the Pittock
Mansion for the TWO weeks 10/01/15 to 10/14/15. Species neither seen nor heard
the previous week are in ALL CAPS.

Additional information about my dogwalk, including an archive of weekly
summaries and a checklist, may be found at
http://www.hevanet.com/winkg/dogwalkpage.html
<http://www.hevanet.com/winkg/dogwalkpage.html>

The sightings are also in eBird.

I did the walk 4 days over the fortnight.

Species # days found (peak #, date)

Cackling Goose 3 (185+)
MOURNING DOVE 1 (1, 10/13)
Anna's Hummingbird 2 (4, 10/13)
Red-breasted Sapsucker 1 (3, 10/7)
Downy Woodpecker 3 (1)
Hairy Woodpecker 1 (1, 10/7)
Northern Flicker 4 (3)
Pileated Woodpecker 2 (1, 10/6 & 13)
Hutton’s Vireo 2 (2, 10/14)
Steller's Jay 4 (8)
American Crow 4 (13)
Common Raven 1 (1, 10/7)
Black-capped Chickadee 4 (18)
Chestnut-backed Chickadee 4 (10, 10/14)
Bushtit 1 (15, 10/14)
Red-breasted Nuthatch 4 (5)
Pacific Wren 1 (1, 10/7)
Bewick’s Wren 1 (1, 10/14)
Golden-crowned Kinglet 3 (4)
Ruby-Crowned Kinglet 3 (9, 10/14)
Swainson’s Thrush 1 (1, 10/7)
Hermit Thrush 2 (1, 10/6 & 7)
American Robin 3 (15)
Varied Thrush 4 (5, 10/14)
European Starling 4 (11, 10/7)
*Warbler sp. (Blackpoll?) 1 (1, 10/14)
TOWNSEND’S WARBLER 2 (2, 10/14)
Spotted Towhee 4 (9)
FOX SPARROW 1 (2, 10/7)
Song Sparrow 4 (18)
GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROW 2 (2, 10/6)
Dark-eyed Junco 4 (25, 10/14)
House Finch 3 (8)
PINE SISKIN 1 (12, 10/14)
American Goldfinch 2 (11, 10/13)
Evening Grosbeak 2 (1, 10/7 & 13)

*Possible BLACKPOLL WARBLER: heard sharp, hi-pitched chip and thought perhaps
Orange-crowned Warbler. Located a Townsend’s Warbler and then this bird in a
nearby pine tree at the top of NW Seblar Terrace. Poor viewing conditions and
too brief a view, but bird had two wingbars, pale yellow throat and breast,
dark line through eye, and faint streaking down the flanks. Oh, well, another
one gets away! 8^)

Wink Gross
Portland