[obol] Pine Grosbeaks at Santiam Pass

  • From: Jim Kopitzke <james.kopitzke63@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2015 16:57:14 -0700

Obolers,

Roy Gerig and I ventured up to Santiam Pass today in search of Pine
Grosbeaks.
Following advice from posts over the weekend, we decided to head up to the
pass, rather than birding lower first.
We arrived at the parking area about 9:45 AM, and immediately heard
grosbeak warbles. Once we were able to track them down, we had good views
for the next 90 minutes or so, never going any higher up the trail than the
Summit Trail junction with the PCT. By  11:30 they had all but disappeared..
Maximum count was about 15 birds.
Other birds of note were 2 drumming Black-backed Woodpeckers, a single
Mountain Bluebird, and at least 3 Hairy Woodpeckers.

Jim Kopitzke
Salem