[obol] Pine Grosbeaks

  • From: Darrel Faxon <5hats@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2015 20:01:48 -0700

One thing which I don't think has been mentioned as to the occurrence this winter of Pine Grosbeaks on the Santiam Pass. Most of the reports I have read indicated they were feeding on bear grass or other foot items on or near the ground, a fact which would coincide with a lack of snow. Most years this food source would not be available at this season. The principle is simple. Birds, and other creatures for that matter, are opportunists. They always tend to go where the food is.

Darrel

---
is active.