[obol] Pine Grosbeak YES

  • From: Owen Schmidt <oschmidt@xxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL Birders Online <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Portland Area Birds <portland-area-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2015 22:36:10 -0700

...... Jack Kiley, John Elizalde and I tried for the Pine Grosbeaks along the
Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) in the Santiam Pass this morning.  We arrived just
before 9:00 am, by which time several birders had already seen or heard the
birds near the parking lot and/or near the junction of the PCT with Summit Lake
Trail, not far north of the parking lot.

We were skunked at the parking lot and along the PCT, past the junction with
Summit Lake Trail, until quite a ways up the PCT, into the Mt. Jefferson
Wilderness .... we estimate maybe a mile or so from the parking lot  ......
when we heard and finally saw and could photograph one of the 2 birds:
http://oschmidt.net/OwenLSchmidtLLC/PIGR.html

A really nice day, light overcast, warm.  Thanks to the many birders who posted
the location of these birds.

oschmidt@xxxxxxx
Friday, March 13, 2015