[obol] Pileated Woodpecker

  • From: linda phelan thompson <lindaphelanlmt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2015 21:49:29 -0700

Dear Obolers,
                       Well I finally saw one! Yeah! I went to Beaverton's
Tualatin Nature Park twice today. At 5:00 I was going to walk back to the
pond, where it had been seen, even though that was this morning. I stopped
at the bench where the snag can be seen from the trail. I waited and
listened, and realized I did hear a faint tap. A male was pecking at the
back of the same snag the breeding pair nested in last spring. It was down
low, maybe three feet up from the ground. I don't know if it's working to
make a new nesting hole, or searching for grubs, or whatever they eat. But
what a sight to see. It's very tolerant of human presence, and has a very
neat manner of stretching and tilting his head this way and that in between
pecking.

Joyous birding, Linda Lee
Fanno Creek's flooding has subsided on the Tigard side this evening.

*Linda Lee*