[obol] FUN with four-letter words

  • From: Russ Namitz <namitzr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL Freelist <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2015 22:28:06 -0700

Hey Tim~
Thanks for trying to educate some of our new members of OBOL of 4 letter codes.
 For those who want to use them, PLEASE, PLEASE write out the full name of the
bird for the first usage.  "I saw a Common Raven (CORA) circling over north
Medford this afternoon."  That way, one does not need to know them or even
learn them, just posses the average amount of literacy to refer to a previously
cited acronym.
But Tim, don't you know that using four letter codes is a NOGO zone on OBOL?
You would probably have more luck trying to get a PUMA to sing at a RCKI Martin
concert while wearing a PUFI jacket.  So Tim, my suggestion to you, is just go
with the FLOW and watch da BULS game.  Bill was right in suggesting to stay out
of the BARS.  The next thing you know, you and GREG will be down at the COPA,
singing MERL Haggard songs and making all the LIMP Bizkit fans cringe.  No, you
don't want to go down that road.  Just stay home with your dogs,  BEKI & CORA,
bake some cookies in the OVEN and listen to sweet sounds of the SURF out the
window in good old Coos Bay.
In order of appearance:NOGO (Northern Goshawk)PUMA (Purple Martin)RCKI
(Ruby-crowned Kinglet)PUFI (Purple Finch)FLOW (Flammulated Owl)BULS (Buller's
Shearwater)BARS (Barn Swallow)GREG (Great Egret)COPA (Common Paraque)MERL
(Merlin)LIMP (Limpkin)BEKI (Belted Kingfisher)CORA (Common Raven)OVEN
(Ovenbird)SURF (Surfbird)
And now, back to birding....Russ NamitzMedford, OR