[obol] Re: Owl Conservation

  • From: David Irons <llsdirons@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "whoffman@xxxxxxxx" <whoffman@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 17:05:06 -0800

As Wayne alludes to, moisture and seasonal flooding along with the lack of
larger burrowing animals are likely the limiting factors that explain the
absence of breeding Burrowing Owls in the Willamette Valley. Even if there were
available burrows, I suspect that the protracted spring/early summer wet season
would result in standing water or excessive moisture in suitable burrows.
Unless the birds adapted to initiate nesting later in the season, I can't
imagine them having success. I don't have any resources at hand, but I think
Burrowing Owls formerly nested in the drier sections of the Rogue Valley around
Medford. Otherwise, I don't know of any other west side breeding attempts. The
report that Joel shared (fide Bob Altman) is certainly interesting.

Dave Irons
Portland, OR

Sent from my iPhone