[obol] Burrowing Owl burrows

  • From: "judy" <jmeredit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 16:30:01 -0800

Oregon Birding Association, OBA or at the time OFO, had an annual meeting in Umatilla about 3 years ago and speakers were Mike Denny and David Johnson. David Johnson talked about world wide owl issues as well as specifics on Burrowing Owls. One of the field trips for the conference was to go with him and some grad students who were installing and monitoring artificial burrows. We saw the construction and saw how they were able to access the nest for monitoring the young. The project has allowed Burrowing Owls to become re-established on the Umatilla Depot (decommissioned now I believe and going to wildlife). This link is to a long - very long - paper on constructing artificial burrows. If someone were serious and had suitable property and the time to consider this, perhaps an owl would try it. I am sure more resources are out there. http://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/01199/wdfw01199.pdf

For those who are just curious about the Umatilla project, and some of the wildlife officials involved with it, here is a link to a short article in their local paper. http://friendsofmcrwr.org/publications/burrowing-owls-tri-city-herald-article.shtml

Thanks to Clay Crofton for asking about burrows. And thanks to OBA for finding resources and offering great birding opportunities such as that conference. Good birding, judy, jmeredit@xxxxxxxxxxx