[obol] Re: Owl Attack

  • From: Scott Carpenter <slcarpenter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 May 2014 10:12:03 -0700

I am aware of Barred Owls attacking people for simply being in their
territory, regardless of whether or not the people knew they were near the
owls. Ditto on Northern Goshawks.

I am also aware of Northern Saw-wet Owls attacking people in response to
playing their song from a tape/iPod.

On a semi-related note, I was recently owling in Forest Park with 2 other
people, and we were completely passive -- not playing or imitating any
vocalizations of any species. After hearing both Northern Pygmy-Owl and
Western Screech-Owl singing right around dusk, we walked up a slope, and an
adult Bald Eagle flew directly at us, well below the forest canopy, calling
loudly. We all interpreted this behavior to indicate we were near a nest,
so we quickly retreated until the Bald Eagle stopped circling above us.

--
Scott Carpenter
Portland, Oregon