[obol] Re: Osprey still at Cottage Grove Lake

  • From: Karen Saxton <kcsaxton@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: toripony@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2015 20:58:46 -0800

I saw one hovering over Coos Bay, near the Menasha log yard Sunday

On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 7:01 PM, Tori Morgan <toripony@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Found 2 OSPREY still at Cottage Grove Lake (now a big pond) today. That's
down from the usual 3 unless one was hiding. It's the latest report I can
find on eBird for Washington and Oregon. Are these the last two hanging
around?

They were resting this afternoon on shore but I got to watch one fly up
and kite for a snack. In about half of a minute it had dived and came up
with about a 10" fish which it took to a perch and consumed. The shrunken
pool makes the fishing easy I guess. Photo in my checklist:

The CORMORANT count at Dorena Lake was up to 146 from around 118 last
week. The COMMON LOON, 1 of the BALD EAGLEs and 2 AMERICAN WHITE PELICANS
were still there. Watched a flock of 50-60 PINE SISKINs mobbing the
feeders at a lakeside house.

I ended today's drive (cold wind and rain kept me in the car) with a flock
of about a dozen GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLETs while watching a snow squall over
a nearby mountain.

Tori Morgan
Cottage Grove