[obol] Oregon Cascades Birds

  • From: Thomas Meinzen <thomasmeinzen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2014 18:25:13 -0700

It's been a while since I've posted here, so I thought I'd share some bird
sightings from camping in the Oregon Cascades with friends in recent weeks.

We spent today and yesterday at Melakwa Lake in eastern Lane County, with a
dazzling view of the Three Sisters. I pished up a sizable flock of 18
ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLERS along the lakeshore this morning, along with 1
NASHVILLE WARBLER, 1 GREEN-TAILED TOWHEE, Dark-eyed Juncos, Yellow-rumped
Warblers, Red-breasted Nuthatches, Chestnut-backed Chicakdees, and
Golden-crowned Kinglets. RED CROSSBILLS were everywhere, and an OSPREY was
successfully fishing the lake the entire time we were there. I also saw one
LEWIS'S WOODPECKER, likely a migrant, depart from a snag as we hiked up a
nearby peak. A few migrant birds could be heard overheard as we slept under
the stars.

Last weekend I went up to a cabin along the Little Deschutes River with
friends and had CLARK'S NUTCRACKER, RUFOUS HUMMINGBIRD, and a NORTHERN
GOSHAWK there. Alway fun!

Happy end of summer!
Thomas Meinzen
Eugene