[obol] Re: Odd sparrow, Oak Island (Sauvie Island, Multnomah Co.)

  • From: David Irons <llsdirons@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Wink Gross <winkg@xxxxxxxxxxx>, OBOL Oregon Birders Online <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 08:36:19 +0000

Wink,
I think that there is little doubt that your bird is a juv. Savannah Sparrow.
The fact that it's in the company of an adult Savannah at the height of
breeding season is the best indicator. If it was another species, the adult
Savannah would likely not tolerate it's presence or vice versa.
I pulled up the BirdFellow ID gallery for Savannah Sparrow and found that we
have no full-grown juvs. in our photos, so I would happily include these in our
gallery (just send me jpgs). We do have some fantastic shots of a fresh out of
the nest juv. Savannah that Lyn Topinka captured this past May (images #3 and
#4 in the gallery at the link below). If you look closely at the pretty well
developed pale-tipped covert feathers  on Lyn's fledgling and also the warm
butterscotch-toned feathers on the auriculars, they are very similar to what
your bird shows–though yours is further along in its development.
http://www.birdfellow.com/birds/savannah-sparrow-passerculus-sandwichensis#/idPhotos
Dave Irons
P.S. Thanks again Lyn for sharing these great shots for use in the BirdFellow
ID gallery.
From: winkg@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [obol] Odd sparrow, Oak Island (Sauvie Island, Multnomah Co.)
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 14:37:22 -0700
To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Out at Oak Island this morning I photographed an odd sparrow hanging out with
Savannah Sparrows.  Very buffy, small pink bill, limited streaking.  I think it
mustbe a juvenile SAVANNAH SPARROW, but would be curious to have others lookat
the photos.  Many of them show the sparrow-in-question with an obvious SAVS.
The photos can be found at:
http://tinyurl.com/pwlbyvn
Thanks!
Wink GrossPortland