[obol] Only 2 Vesper Sparrows for Polk County blitz?

  • From: Joel Geier <joel.geier@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oregon Birders OnLine <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 04:46:32 -0700

Hi all,

I'm wondering if there are still more data to be entered, or did the
total number of Vesper Sparrows found in Polk County last weekend really
end up at just two?

The reason I'm asking is in reference to the Oregon Vesper Sparrow
rangewide survey, which Bob Altman is coordinating. Any breeding-season
observations of Vesper Sparrows from western Oregon or Washington are of
interest.

Looking through the data on ebird, I see that one Vesper Sparrow was
found by Bill Proebsting and Mary Garrard along Priem Rd (Maple Grove
area), and another was found by someone along Bethel Heights Rd.

If you know of any additional Vesper Sparrows that were found last
weekend but just haven't been entered in the database yet, please let
either Bob or me know so that we'll have a chance to check these sites
out in terms of habitat.

If it's really true that only as many Vesper Sparrows as Grasshopper
Sparrows were found in Polk Co. last weekend, that sort of fits the
theme of what we've been encountering this summer.

I've personally seen nearly as many Grasshopper Sparrows (5) as Vesper
Sparrows (maybe 8?) in Polk Co. during nesting season this year, so
close to the same 1:1 ratio that apparently came out of the blitz event.

Ten or fifteen years ago, that kind of ratio would have seemed crazy.
Actually, it still seems kind of crazy, but maybe that's where things
are headed.

Happy birding,
Joel

--