[obol] Re: Odd Ferruginous Hawk Behavior

  • From: "Richard W. Musser" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "mussermcevoy@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: "cgates326@xxxxxxxxx" <cgates326@xxxxxxxxx>, obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 15:54:37 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Chuck,     If this ferruginous hawk quickly pulled its leg back up after the
photo was taken, it was just stretching that leg----but if it kept that leg out
like that for even 30 sec., it is experiencing an injury. So I can't really
tell from the photos, but even for a "stretch" the leg doesn't appear to me to
be "exactly correct." Just my two cents. Best regards, Dick Musser (4 mi. NW of
Vale)

On Wednesday, April 15, 2015 9:45 AM, Charles Gates <cgates326@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

While working the Harney County Bird Festival last week, our group came
across a nice Ferruginous Hawk on a pole next to the road.  We got
fairly close to this bird and everyone got great looks.  It's posture
was pretty normal.  Then it did something quite strange.  It
straightened its right leg out and dangled it down over the front part
of the cross bar for the pole.  It didn't seem to be broken but may have
been injured in some way.  Mary Ritter snapped some photos and sent them
to me.  You can see this odd stance at my flickr page
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124095129@N06/

--
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for
sure that just ain't so.

Chuck Gates
541-280-4957
Powell Butte,