[obol] New and different birds

  • From: Rob Conway <robin_birder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "tweeters@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tweeters@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2013 22:58:40 +0000

All brainbirders,

As the weather gets colder I'm getting some interesting birds come through.
Likely chased from the mountains and east side of the Cascades (up the gorge)
with the extra cold I've had the following:

Townsend's Solitaire - located first by its single deeeepch call repeated
several times I have actually has 2 birds at once for the last 3 mornings in my
big patch of Western Juniper.

Pine Grosbeak - one at the feeders this morning - male and not too shy

Mountain Chickadees - 2 with the large (20) mixed chickadee flock that visits.

Evening Grosbeak - 45 at one time on the feeders!  Spectacular like butter
dripping off the sunflower feeders.

Northern Saw whet owl - this seems to be a place for these birds. 3 on a wire
overhead right below my house last Monday.

I've gone from 5-6 Stellar's and 3-4 Western Scrub jays coming in for peanuts
to as many as 40 at a time.  Beautiful and quite the characters.

7 Anna's hummingbirds at the feeds including one who went into torpor on the
feeder perch last night.

120 Dark eyed juncos.  This flock has been building for weeks.  I have at least
3-4 slate colored and a perfect Pink-sided specimen every day.

Bushtits.  After weeks of 1 or 2 I had a flock of about 90 yesterday that
covered 2 double suet feeders, 3 single feeders, and the disk of meal worms I
put out to see who would find them.

Also very high number of House and Purple Finches, but on 2 Pine Siskins so far.

Noticeably missing:  Red Breasted Nuthatch -0 for 3 weeks,  Mourning doves -
just one after weeks of 10-15 a day, and Fox Sparrows - 2 out of the dozens of
sparrows (Song, White Throated, Golden Crowned) that visit daily.

I'm still house bound, but entertained.

Rob
Rob Conway
Camas, WA