[obol] Nehalem Meadows- Cattle Egret pics

  • From: Beverly Hallberg <mapsout@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2015 15:47:30 -0800

Hi all,

My husband and I were just scanning the flooded fields for something
interesting this afternoon and came upon this Cattle Egret right by the
side of the road - between McDonald Dike Road and the Nehalem River. We
immediately stopped the car and I got a couple pics through the front
window of the car as it seemed to be grazing happily. Then a woman came by
in her car from the opposite direction and saw that we were taking pics of
this beautiful bird and she seemed to intentionally SWERVE RIGHT TOWARDS IT
and flushed it of course. She smirked at my husband as she drove past.
GRRRRR!!! I watched it fly about and saw it eventually land in the back of
someone's yard. This is a private residence and there is no convenient
place to pull over so be careful and courteous if you chase him. The only
viewing is just south of the house and into her backyard looking north. He
seemed happy and in good company with a few gulls back there so maybe he'll
stay put the rest of the day.

https://flic.kr/p/AQn6YG
https://flic.kr/p/Bfcnhu

In other news I saw the Tropical Kingbird again on the slope at Alder Creek
Farm this morning. This must be the place he is mainly roosting - above
and around the blackberry studded field and with a gazillion sparrows of
various sorts. But the Elk have also made the lower meadow their sleeping
area. Apparently I woke them up this morning. I keep running into them
and the bulls are frequently banging antlers with each other in this
rutting season.

Good birding,
Beverly