[obol] Re: Mystery Warbler- Lone Ranch, Curry Co. 10/5/2015

  • From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2015 19:01:39 -0700

Oh two there salient factorsd- underside of bill yellow. And the auricular
patch was not dark, maybe lighter and that same grayish--olive color with a
sort of spidery web look if that makes any sense- another reason BTB
Warbler didn't seem right...

Tim

On Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 6:57 PM, Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

I was headed north out of Bookings around noon today and decided to stop
off at Lone Ranch wayside for lunch. After a quick bite I headed down to
the creek for a look. I walked along the creek in the trees to the mouth.
At the mouth I heard an unfamiliar warbler chip, kind of Mac-like but not
as sharp and well, definitely not a Mac. Actually, describing it is a bit
difficult, just something I was not familiar with. In some vegetation and
tree roots overhanging the creek I found the warbler. It was a dull
grayish-olive green above and I first thought Orange-crowned just cause of
the color but it was feeding right on the creek and the call was to sharp
for an Orange-crowned so I kept on it. It turned over feeding and it was a
murky pale whitish-yellow below. The color extended all the way from the
breast to the undertail coverts. Then the bird turned over and instead of
having a split eye-ring it had a long white supercilium? It then promptly
disappeared. I listened for a while then heard the chip up creek. I was
able to locate it low along the creek again flitting around in the
overhanging roots right above the creek. I did not notice any wing bars
although it could have had a very pale one nor was there a white wing patch
like on BTB Warbler females. Also, the undertail coverts were the same
color as the rest of the bird below. I remember having a discussion about
1st fall female BTB Warblers and that they lacked a white wing spot but the
feeding behavior seemed wrong for that species- this bird was low and acted
like a waterthrush although it didn't bob its tail like one and was
unstreaked below.

So, I guess if I was to pick a more "common" species I would call this a
1st fall Black-throated Blue. However, it had a long straight white
supercilium, almost like a Bewick's Wren. Also the undertail coverts were
not a pure white, they looked like a continuation of the color above- the
murky whitish-yellow. So, maybe it is something less common like an
Arctic/Asian Warbler species? Arctic sure came to mind but I have no
experience with any such warblers so I really hesitate to go anywhere with
this.

I had to leave after I saw it the second time and it had disappeared
again- I am hoping that someone may have time to look for it mañana? I
suspect it is a "good" species whatever it may be? I won't have time to go
back as I will be busy- bummer I found a bird that appears to be something
I have not seen before but cannot ID!

Merry migration!
Tim R
Coos Bay