[obol] Re: Mt.Tabor mystery bird (sound only)

  • From: David Irons <llsdirons@xxxxxxx>
  • To: paul sullivan <paultsullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, OBOL Oregon Birders Online <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 May 2013 15:53:22 +0000

Jason,
As Paul Sullivan suggests, your mystery bird was likely a crow or Steller's Jay
(Common Raven would be less likely on Mt. Tabor). A few years ago I was in a
suburban Eugene neighborhood right in town and I heard persistent toots that
sounded like a N. Pygmy-Owl. I finally realized that an American Crow sitting
on a nearby light pole that was making the noise. Similarly, just last week I
heard a very dull low-volume sound that had a nasal, almost goose-like quality
to it. Again, it was a crow that was close by. I actually captured the sound
using the video function on my iPhone. Corvids make all sorts of odd noises
that are often quite unlike their typical vocalizations.
Dave IronsPortland, OR