[obol] Re: Mt.Tabor mystery bird (sound only)

  • From: "Paul T. Sullivan" <paultsullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 May 2013 08:38:21 -0700

Jason, et al,

Let me suggest your mystery bird is a Corvid: Raven, Crow, or Steller's Jay. They can make hollow sounds, often in a toot-toot rhythm. At this time of year the Stellers are secretive; they're nesting and slinking around giving quiet sounds that we don't hear the rest of the year.

Good birding,

Paul Sullivan

-----------------------
Subject: Mt.Tabor mystery bird (sound only)
Date: Wed May 8 2013 8:47 am
From: wolfjason71 AT gmail.com

Among the delightful cacophony of birdsong yesterday morning there was a
very interesting call. My description is below...let me know if you have
any ideas.

About 8am, I heard a loud, hollow whistle from high in a Doug Fir. It was
repeated two times, but all on one pitch......so, toot-toot (one second
pause) then toot-toot, then about 5-8 seconds pause, then the same notes
again. The whistle did not ascend nor descend in sound.

It had the hollow flute quality of sound reminiscent of Mountain Quail, and
that kind of carrying quality, but was more of a whistle and
lower-pitched. I never got even a glimpse of the bird. It flew to another
large Doug Fir very near me and gave the call again, then was gone. It
sounded like a large-bodied bird, definitely not a songbird-sized bird, but
something the size of BT Pigeon.

I listened to all the Band-tailed Pigeon sounds online and there was
nothing even close. I read that Sooty Grouse can sometimes 'sing' from high
in a tree but don't know if they even make any whistle-like sound.

This one has me stumped! Any ideas?

--
Jason Wolf