[obol] Mt Bachelor - Chestnut-backed Chickadee, Merlin, Rosy Finch

  • From: Steve Kornfeld <sbkornfeld@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "cobol@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <cobol@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2015 21:47:37 -0700

Greetings.

Today while hiking up to the top of Mt Bachelor outside of Bend I had a few
nice finds.

Between the main parking lot and the base of the summit chair I saw 4 scattered
Chestnut-backed Chickadees. This is the most I have ever seen in one day in
Deschutes County.

At the top were about 80 Grey-crowned Rosy-finch feeding on the scree, rocks
and remnant snow fields. They (along with the Juncos and Siskins) were being
harassed by a Merlin. A great 5 minute show.

Steve Kornfeld
Bend