[obol] Many, many Red-tails

  • From: Dan Gleason <dan-gleason@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2015 22:06:48 -0700

This evening (~5:30) I had a most unusual sighting over my home here in the
south hills of Eugene. I heard a Red-tailed Hawk overhead. They fly over
occasionally, but most often the call is usually a Steller’s Jay. But I saw a
Red-tail come into sight soaring high above the trees. As I watched a second,
third, and fourth hawk came into view. They were well above the tree tops, but
not too high. Details were clearly visible even without binoculars. As I
watched, more hawks came into view moving south to north. Eventually, there
were 18 Red-tailed Hawks all together making slow circles and gradually moving
north. Several, but not all, were vocalizing. They were in view for about 15
minutes before I lost sight of them as they slowly moved north.

I have never seen so many Red-tails flying so close together before and
certainly not over our neighborhood. A most interesting spectacle.

Dan Gleason
dan-gleason@xxxxxxxxxxx
• Co-owner, Wild Birds Unlimited of Eugene
• Author of "Birds! From the Inside Out" and "Looking for Yellowheads"
• Instructor of Field Ornithology, University of Oregon
541-953-4726