[obol] Mountain Chickadees and Wayward Nuthatches

  • From: Adrian Hinkle <adrian.hinkle@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2015 16:48:35 -0700

Jay, awesome find on the Pygmy Nuthatch!!

I agree that the nuthatch probably has something to do with the Mountain
Chickadee invasion. While winter 2012 - 2013 saw a major invasion of
Mountain Chickadees to the Portland area, it definitely wasn't as
impressive as this years' is shaping out to be. There were never more than
2 or 3 in one place that year, and if I recall correctly they didn't make
it to the coast.

Also, I can't help but wonder if the interior subspecies of White-breasted
Nuthatch that my mom and I had at Mt. Tabor on September 23rd had something
to do with this as well.

Definitely Pygmy Nuthatch and interior White-breasted Nuthatch should be on
people's radar screens.

As for other irruption species, I've seen/heard almost no siskins or
crossbills lately.

Exciting!

Adrian